4.22.2010

Happy Earth Day.

pinwheeljumper

I thought it was about time for my first DIY, and what better day than Earth Day? Please let me know what you think. I have been wanting to learn how to make a pinwheel for awhile now, and since I didn't have the stuff to make a real one, I figured I'd make one I can wear. And because I love to dress like a five-year old, I made it for my jean jumper (I know, I'm a nerd). Oh, and do you like how Horton snuck into that picture. He begged to be a part of this post, and I just can't say no to him.

So, here's what you need:

Piece of felt.
Piece of pretty fabric.
Glue gun & fabric glue (if you have it).
Button and thread to sew it on.
Pin for the back.

& Here are the simple steps:

1. Cut a square out of the felt and the fabric, making sure they are the same size.

2. Glue the two pieces together, you can use the fabric glue or glue gun.

DSC06962

p.s. I can't believe this glue worked. I snatched it from some of my grandma's old old old sewing stuff. Pretty crazy, huh?

3. Draw a line that connect each corner to it's opposite. Then draw a small circle in the middle (it doesn't matter how pretty it looks because this will be on the back).

4. Cut the lines, but only until you reach the circle that you drew.

DSC06966

5. Flip the square over. Grab the left corner (of one of the triangle shapes) and fold it over to the center of the pinwheel. Glue it down with your hot glue gun. Do that on all four corners, until you have a pinwheel!

DSC06967

6. Now sew on the button in the middle of the pinwheel, and glue the pin on the back. You can also use a hair-clip or simply glue this onto something else if you would rather!

DSC06970

& you're done!

DSC06969

Hope you had fun. And if you end up making one, I'd love to see pictures.

8 comments:

  1. I'm bringing my craft stuff and making these on Sunday, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. super-cute! I love your jean jumper, btw. I'm all for dressing young!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh so cute! Please don't ever stop dressing like you're five.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg amazing! that is way cute and i love that you did it as a pin you can wear rather than an actual pinwheel! i'm gonna have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I promise to never stop dressing like a five-year old, and never stop making kindergarten crafts :) ♥ you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you made it look so easy. i might just give this a try. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails